Associate Professor Marcus Brazil
- Infrastructure for Electric Vehicles (EVs, Power Distribution Grid, Smart Grid, Green Energy)
- Network Optimisation (Minimum cost networks, Steiner Trees)
- Underground Mine Planning (Mining, Access Design, Optimisation)
- Wireless Sensor Networks - Localisation and Deployment (Relay deployment, Sensor deployment, relay placement)
A/Prof Marcus Brazil is an Associate Professor and Reader in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He studied English and Mathematics as an undergraduate at The University of Melbourne, and received a Ph.D. in Mathematics (in the field of Computational and Geometric Group Theory) from La Trobe University in 1995.
Currently, his main research interest is in Optimal Network Design with applications to Telecommunications, Wireless Sensor Networks, VLSI Physical Design, Underground Mining, and Infrastructure for Electric Vehicles. He also combines this with more theoretical work, particularly in the area of Steiner Trees. His research and consultancy work in optimisation for underground mine design has been particularly successful, having received strong support from a number of Industry bodies such as BHP Billiton and Newmont Australia Ltd. He is also a founder and director of the company MineOptima.
- Brazil M, Volz M, Zachariasen M, Ras C, Thomas D. Computing minimum 2-edge-connected Steiner networks in the Euclidean plane. NETWORKS. John Wiley & Sons. 2019, Vol. 73, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/net.21835
- Brazil M, Volz M, Zachariasen M, Ras C, Thomas D. New pruning rules for the Steiner tree problem and 2-connected Steiner network problem. COMPUTATIONAL GEOMETRY-THEORY AND APPLICATIONS. Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 78. DOI: 10.1016/j.comgeo.2018.10.003
- Yarmuch J, Brazil M, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Optimum ramp design in open pit mines. Computers and Operations Research. Pergamon. 2019. DOI: 10.1016/j.cor.2019.06.013
- Sun Y, Brazil M, Thomas D, Halgamuge S. The Fast Heuristic Algorithms and Post-Processing Techniques to Design Large and Low-Cost Communication Networks. IEEE-ACM TRANSACTIONS ON NETWORKING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2019, Vol. 27, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/TNET.2018.2888864
- Whittle D, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Combined optimisation of an open-pit mine outline and the transition depth to underground mining. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF OPERATIONAL RESEARCH. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 268, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejor.2018.02.005
- Kirszenblat D, Sirinanda K, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Minimal curvature-constrained networks. JOURNAL OF GLOBAL OPTIMIZATION. Springer. 2018, Vol. 72, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s10898-018-0625-2
- Kolluri R, Mareels I, Teixeira C, Tong S, Alpcan T, Brazil M, De Hoog J, Thomas D. Overcoming the Impact of Clock Drifts on Power Sharing for Microgrids. 2018 IEEE POWER & ENERGY SOCIETY GENERAL MEETING (PESGM). IEEE. 2018, Vol. 2018-August. DOI: 10.1109/PESGM.2018.8586450
- Grossman P, Brazil M, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Scheduling the construction of value and discount weighted trees for maximum net present value. Computers and Operations Research. Pergamon. 2018. DOI: 10.1016/j.cor.2018.10.018
- Kolluri R, Mareels I, Alpcan T, Brazil M, De Hoog J, Thomas D. Stability and active power sharing in droop controlled inverter interfaced microgrids: Effect of clock mismatches. AUTOMATICA. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 93. DOI: 10.1016/j.automatica.2018.03.025
- Brazil M, Volz M, Thomas D. Strategic Optimisation of a Vertical Hoisting Shaft in the Callie Underground Mine. Advances in Applied Strategic Mine Planning. Springer. 2018. Editors: Dimitrakopoulos R. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-69320-0_34
- Brazil M, Sirinanda K, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Strategic Underground Mine Access Design to Maximise the Net Present Value. Advances in Applied Strategic Mine Planning. Springer. 2018. Editors: Dimitrakopoulos R. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-69320-0_35
- Kolluri R, Mareels I, Alpcan T, Brazil M, De Hoog J, Thomas D. Power Sharing in Angle Droop Controlled Microgrids. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 32, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2017.2672569
- Kolluri RR, De Hoog J, Abdulla K, Mareels I, Alpcan T, Brazil M, Thomas D. Siting and Sizing Distributed Storage for Microgrid Applications. 2017 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SMART GRID COMMUNICATIONS (SMARTGRIDCOMM). IEEE. 2017.
- De Hoog J, Alpcan T, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. A Market Mechanism for Electric Vehicle Charging Under Network Constraints. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 7, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TSG.2015.2495181
- Brazil M, Ras C, Thomas D. An exact algorithm for the bottleneck 2-connected k-Steiner network problem in L-p planes. DISCRETE APPLIED MATHEMATICS. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 201. DOI: 10.1016/j.dam.2015.07.029
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile