Professor Michael Cantoni
- Automation of water distribution networks
- Control and signal processing
Michael Cantoni is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Head of the Control and Signal Processing Group. He received the Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical - Hons. 1) and Bachelor of Science (Applied Mathematics) degrees from The University of Western Australia in 1995, and the PhD degree in Engineering from The University of Cambridge in 1998. Before joining The University of Melbourne in 2000, he held post-doctoral research positions with Department of Engineering at The University of Cambridge, and St. John's College, Cambridge. He has served as associate editor for IET Control Theory and Applications (2007–2010), Systems & Control Letters (2007–2014), and IFAC Automatica (2015-2018). In 2014, he was co-recipient of the IEEE CSS Control Systems Technology Award for work with industry partner Rubicon Water on the automation of rural water distribution networks. His research interests include robust and optimal control theory, distributed control and optimization of networks, time-varying and sampled-data systems, model approximation, multidimensional systems, and applications in water and power distribution.
- Fabbro M, Shames I, Cantoni M. Analysis of Model and Iteration Dependencies in Distributed Feasible-Point Algorithms for Optimal Control Computation. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL OF NETWORK SYSTEMS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 5, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/TCNS.2016.2590138
- Akram M, Cantoni M. GAP METRICS FOR LINEAR TIME-VARYING SYSTEMS. SIAM JOURNAL ON CONTROL AND OPTIMIZATION. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. 2018, Vol. 56, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1137/16M1092775
- Farokhi F, Shames I, Cantoni M. Optimal contract design for effort-averse sensors. International Journal of Control. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2018. DOI: 10.1080/00207179.2018.1486041
- Cantoni M, Zafar A, Farokhi F. Scalable iterations for solving constrained LQ control problems with cascade dynamics. 23rd International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems. 2018.
- Fabbro M, Cantoni M. Scalable stability analysis for homogeneous networks of dynamical systems interacting via aperiodic sampled-data channels. Proceedings of the American Control Conference. American Automatic Control Council. 2018, Vol. 2018-June. DOI: 10.23919/ACC.2018.8430872
- Cantoni M, Fabbro M, Kao C-Y. Stability of constant gain output feedback for two-input systems with asynchronous sample and update timing. 23rd International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems. 2018.
- Lang AC, Shames I, Cantoni M. Structure in total least squares parameter estimation for electrical networks. IFAC-PapersOnLine. 2018, Vol. 51, Issue 23. DOI: 10.1016/j.ifacol.2018.12.072
- Nasir H, Cantoni M, Weyer E. An efficient implementation of Stochastic MPC for open channel water-level planning. 2017 IEEE 56TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017.
- Strecker T, Cantoni M, Aamo OM. Control system design for concrete irrigation channels. 11th Asian Control Conference (ASCC). IEEE. 2017.
- Cantoni M, Pfifer H. Gap metric computation for time-varying linear systems on finite horizons. 20th World Congress of the International-Federation-of-Automatic-Control (IFAC). Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 50, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1016/j.ifacol.2017.08.2073
- Fabbro M, Kao C-Y, Cantoni M. Robust Performance of Feedback Loops with Quantization and Aperiodic Sampling. 20th World Congress of the International-Federation-of-Automatic-Control (IFAC). Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 50, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1016/j.ifacol.2017.08.085
- Dower P, Cantoni M. State constrained optimal control of linear time-varying systems. 2017 IEEE 56TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017.
- Cantoni M, Farokhi F, Kerrigan E, Shames I. Structured computation of optimal controls for constrained cascade systems. International Journal of Control. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017. DOI: 10.1080/00207179.2017.1366668
- Dower P, McEneaney WM, Cantoni M. A dynamic game approximation for a linear regulator problem with a log-barrier state constraint. 22nd International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems (MTNS). University of Minnesota. 2016.
- Dower P, McEneaney WM, Cantoni M. A game representation for state constrained linear regulator problems. 2016 IEEE 55TH CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/CDC.2016.7798410
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile