Dr Kerry Hinton
- Energy efficiency of telecommunicaitons networks (Energy efficiency)
- Optical Communications devices, systems and networks (optical communications)
Dr Kerry Hinton is a Principle Research Fellow and Director in the Centre for Energy Efficient Telecommunications in the Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Kerry Hinton received a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences in 1977, a First Class Honours Degree in Electrical Engineering in 1978, a First Class Honours Degree in Mathematical Sciences in 1980, and a Masters in Mathematical Science in 1982. All of these degrees were completed at the University of Adelaide. He commenced study at the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK in 1981, where he was awarded a PhD in Theoretical Physics in 1984. During his time in the UK, Dr. Hinton also undertook part time studies at the Newcastle Upon Tyne Polytechnic where he was awarded a Diploma in Industrial Relations, with distinction, in 1984.
Dr Hinton commenced at the Telstra Research Laboratories (TRL), located in Clayton Victoria, in September 1984 as a member of a multi-disciplinary group researching and providing technical advice to Telstra on optical communications systems. During his 21 years at the Telstra Research Laboratories, Dr. Hinton undertook a diverse range of research which included the following: noise properties of laser diode light in optical communications systems, modelling the noise properties of semiconductor optical amplifiers, the physics and system impact of the behaviour of directly modulated laser diodes, the use of Bragg Fibre Gratings for dispersion compensation in high speed optical communications systems, network architectures for Metropolitan optical networks, advanced modulation techniques for optical communications systems, laser safety and physical layer issues intelligent optical networks.
Dr. Hinton has extensive industrial research background in the engineering issues involved with the development and deployment of new and emerging technologies such as optical communications protocols (including SDH, SONET, OTN and GMPLS), optical network technologies and architectures and all-optical switching. Dr. Hinton was also a member of the Standards Australia Committee SF-19 on laser safety.
Dr. Hinton left the Telstra Research laboratories in December 2005, just before it was shut down by Telstra. He commenced in the ARC Special Centre for Ultra-Broadband Information Networks (CUBIN) in January 2006 as a Senior Research Fellow. During his time in CUBIN he has worked on the feasibility of all-optical technologies for ultra-high capacity networks and the Internet, monitoring and management in optical communications networks and the polarisation mode dispersion in optical communications systems. He has also researched long distance optical broadband access networks, next generation optical technologies for the Internet.
In 2011 Dr. Hinton joined the Centre for Energy Efficient Telecommunications (CEET) where he is researching the energy consumption and energy efficiency of telecommunications networks and the Internet. CEET is a multi-disciplinary research centre that undertakes research into energy efficiency of the Internet, contend delivery networks, Internet equipment and services. CEET is a member of the GreenTouch international consortium which has the goal of providing, in 2015, a technology roadmap to improve the energy efficiency of the Internet by 1000 over the decade 2010 to 2020.
Dr. Hinton has published over 100 papers in conferences, journals and international standards submissions.
- Elmirghani JMH, Klein T, Hinton K, Nonde L, Lawey AQ, El-Gorashi TEH, Musa MOI, Dong X. GreenTouch GreenMeter core network energy-efficiency improvement measures and optimization. Journal of Optical Communications and Networking. OSA - Optical Society of America. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1364/JOCN.10.00A250
- SÜßspeck S, Campbell L, Hinton K. The national broadband network: What difference will it make to broadband availability in Australia?. Australian Journal of Telecommunications and the Digital Economy. Telecommunications Society of Australia. 2018, Vol. 6, Issue 1. DOI: 10.18080/ajtde.v6n1.141
- Lin T, Alpcan T, Hinton K. A Game-Theoretic Analysis of Energy Efficiency and Performance for Cloud Computing in Communication Networks. IEEE SYSTEMS JOURNAL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/JSYST.2015.2451195
- Elmirghani JMH, Nonde L, Lawey AQ, El-Gorashi TEH, Musa MOL, Dong X, Hinton K, Klein T. Energy efficiency measures for future core networks. 2017 Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition, OFC 2017 - Proceedings. 2017.
- Elmirghani JMH, Nonde L, Lawey AQ, El-Gorashi TEH, Musa MOI, Dong X, Hinton K, Klein T. Energy efficiency measures for future core networks. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers. 2017, Vol. Part F40-OFC 2017. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2017.Th1I.4
- Jalali F, Khodadustan S, Gray C, Hinton K, Suits F. Greening IoT with Fog: A Survey. 1st IEEE International Conference on Edge Computing (IEEE EDGE). IEEE. 2017. Editors: Goscinski AM, Luo M. DOI: 10.1109/IEEE.EDGE.2017.13
- Hinton K, Jalali F. A survey of internet energy efficiency metrics. SMARTGREENS 2016 - Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Smart Cities and Green ICT Systems. 2016.
- Jalali F, Hinton K, Ayre R, Alpcan T, Tucker R. Fog Computing May Help to Save Energy in Cloud Computing. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 34, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1109/JSAC.2016.2545559
- Yan M, Chan C, Li W, I C-L, Bian S, Gygax A, Leckie C, Hinton K, Wong E, Nirmalathas A. Network Energy Consumption Assessment of Conventional Mobile Services and Over-the-Top Instant Messaging Applications. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 34, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1109/JSAC.2016.2611978
- Chan C, Gygax A, Leckie C, Wong E, Nirmalathas A, Hinton K. Telecommunications energy and greenhouse gas emissions management for future network growth. APPLIED ENERGY. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 166. DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.01.007
- Lin T, Alpcan T, Hinton K, Vishwanath A. A distributed multi-objective optimisation framework for energy efficiency in mobile backhaul networks. 2015 IEEE Conference on Control Applications (CCA). IEEE. 2015. DOI: 10.1109/CCA.2015.7320843
- Chan C, Li W, Bian S, Chih-Lin I, Gygax A, Leckie C, Yan M, Hinton K. Assessing Network Energy Consumption of Mobile Applications. IEEE COMMUNICATIONS MAGAZINE. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 53, Issue 11.
- Suessspeck S, Adams P, Hinton K, Walmsley T. Economic, Energy and Carbon Footprint Impact of Australia's National Broadband Network. 18th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis (GTAP). 2015.
- Vishwanath A, Jalali F, Hinton K, Alpcan T, Ayre R, Tucker R. Energy Consumption Comparison of Interactive Cloud-Based and Local Applications. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 33, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1109/JSAC.2015.2393431
- Hinton K, Jalali F, Matin A. Energy consumption modelling of optical networks. Photonic Network Communications. 2015, Vol. 30, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s11107-015-0491-5
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile