Dr Malka Halgamuge
- * Biological Effects of Radio Frequency and Extremely Low-Frequency Electromagnetic Fields (Bioelectromagnetics)
- * Data Science, Business Intelligence using Big Data (Data Science)
- * Digital Health, Internet of Things (IoT), Internet of medical Things (IoMT), Telemedicine, Wireless Sensor Network, Blockchain (Internet of Things (IoT))
- * Magnetic Nanoparticle (MNP) based Thermal Therapies (Hyperthermia)
Dr Malka N. Halgamuge is a Research Fellow / Scientist in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of University of Melbourne and Adjunct Professor at the Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), India. She obtained her PhD from the same department. She also a member of the Electromagnetic Radiation Safety Committee, The University of Melbourne, since Sep 2013.
She has published more than 95 articles attracting over 986 Citations (h-index = 17). Her Research Gate RG Score is 35.07. One of her papers has been selected as a highly cited paper by ISI's Essential Science Indicators (May 2014). She currently co-supervises a PhD student and she has co-supervised 4 PhD student to the completion (2013, 2015 & 2018) at the University of Melbourne as the Principle Supervisor.
Awarded the CAS President's International Fellowship from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, China (2017 & 2018), Incoming Leaders Fellowship from Australia India Institute @ Delhi (2016), Next Step Initiative Fellowship (2015), Australia-China Young Scientist Fellowship (2014), Dyason Fellowship to undertake research at Department of Epidemiology, University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles, USA (2013). Early Career Researcher (ECR) Award (2013) from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. Two of the papers she has co-authored with her PhD students received the Best Paper Award (2012) and Best Student Paper Award (2011). Awarded the Vice-Chancellor's Engagement Award (2010) and Vice-Chancellor's Knowledge Transfer Award (2008) for her research at the University of Melbourne. She also was awarded the Solander Fellowship (2007 and 2008) for research collaboration with the Departments of Neurosurgery and Radiation Physics, Lund University. She was among the short listed applicants for both 2009 and 2010 LOreal Australia for Women in Science Fellowship, out of over 200 female scientists applied in Australia.
She was the Keynote Speaker Kerala, India, Feb'18, Plenary Speaker for ICBET'18, Bali, Associate Editor for 2 International Journals, Editorial Board Member for 6 International Journals, an IEEE Senior Member and was the Program Co-Chair, Track Co-Chair, Publication Chair, Advisory Chair, Publicity Co-Chair, Track Chair, Track Co-chair, Session Chair and a Member of the Technical Program Committee (TPC) for 135 international conferences, Guest Editor for 3 Special Issues. She has presented 46 invited/guest lectures including Oxford University, Ohio State University and 7 IEEE talks and has conducted 16 journalists/media interviews and articles (Science Alert, Melbourne Voice, Moreland Leader and GradNews etc.) as well as two video interviews (ABC News, Australia-TV interview, 2014).
Malka's research has few themes: modelling and exploring of
- Data Science, Business Intelligence using Big Data
- Digital Health, Internet of Things (IoT), Internet of medical Things (IoMT), Telemedicine, Blockchain, Wireless Sensor Network
- Public Health: Bioelectromagnetics, Magnetic Nanoparticle (MNP) based Thermal Therapies
- Madushanki R, Wirasagoda H, Halgamuge M. Adoption of the Internet of Things (IoT) in Agriculture and Smart Farming towards Urban Greening: A Survey. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications. 2019, Vol. 10, Issue 4.
- Walia M, Halgamuge M, Hettikankanamage N, Bellamy C. Cloud Computing Security Issues of Sensitive Data: An Analysis. Handbook of Research on the IoT, Cloud Computing, and Wireless Network Optimization. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Singh S. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7335-7
- Devarakonda S, Halgamuge M, Mohammad A. Critical Issues in the Invasion of the Internet of Things (IoT): Security, Privacy, and Other Vulnerabilities. Handbook of Research on Big Data and the IoT. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Gurjit K. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7432-3
- Pajaree T, Halgamuge M, Ali S. Distinguish Significant Adoption Factors That Influence Users' Behavioral Expectation to Utilize Mobile Payment: A Survey. Structural Equation Modeling Approaches to E-Service Adoption. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Yakup A. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-8015-7
- Ranasinghe M, Halgamuge M. Effective Solutions for Challenges in Cognitive Radio Networks. Next-Generation Wireless Networks Meet Advanced Machine Learning Applications. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: ComŞa I-S, Trestian R. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7458-3
- Dissanayake C, Kotagiri R, Halgamuge M, Moran W. Improving accuracy of elephant localization using sound probes. APPLIED ACOUSTICS. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 129. DOI: 10.1016/j.apacoust.2017.07.007
- Halgamuge M, McLean L. Measurement and analysis of power-frequency magnetic fields in residences: Results from a pilot study. MEASUREMENT. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 125. DOI: 10.1016/j.measurement.2018.05.007
- Parra VM, Halgamuge M. Performance Evaluation of Big Data and Business Intelligence Open Source Tools: Pentaho and Jaspersoft. INTERNET OF THINGS AND BIG DATA ANALYTICS TOWARD NEXT-GENERATION INTELLIGENCE. Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 30. Editors: Dey N, Hassanien AE, Bhatt C, Ashour AS, Satapathy SC. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-60435-0_6
- Wijesundera I, Halgamuge M, Nirmalathas A, Nanayakkara T. Predicting the mean first passage time (MFPT) to reach any state for a passive dynamic walker with steady state variability. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0207665
- Hewage TN, Halgamuge M, Syed A, Ekici G. Review: Big data techniques of google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter. Journal of Communications. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 2. DOI: 10.12720/jcm.13.2.94-100
- Ekanayake BNB, Halgamuge M, Syed A. Review: Security and Privacy Issues of Fog Computing for the Internet of Things (IoT). Cognitive Computing for Big Data Systems Over IoT. Springer International Publishing. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-70688-7_7
- Delgoda D, Malano H, Saleem SK, Halgamuge M. A novel generic optimization method for irrigation scheduling under multiple objectives and multiple hierarchical layers in a canal network. ADVANCES IN WATER RESOURCES. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 105. DOI: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2017.04.025
- Halgamuge M, Nirmalathas A. Analysis of large flood events: Based on flood data during 1985-2016 in Australia and India. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DISASTER RISK REDUCTION. Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 24. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2017.05.011
- Kalid S, Syed A, Mohammad A, Halgamuge M. Big-Data NoSQL Databases: A Comparison and Analysis of "Big-Table", "DynamoDB", and "Cassandra". 2017 IEEE 2ND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BIG DATA ANALYSIS (ICBDA). IEEE. 2017.
- Kalid S, Syed A, Mohammad A, Halgamuge M. Big-data NoSQL databases: A comparison and analysis of 'Big-Table', 'DynamoDB', and 'Cassandra'. 2017 IEEE 2nd International Conference on Big Data Analysis, ICBDA 2017. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/ICBDA.2017.8078782
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile