Dr Malka Halgamuge
- * Biological Effects of Radio Frequency and Extremely Low-Frequency Electromagnetic Fields (Bioelectromagnetics)
- * Data Science, Business Intelligence using Big Data (Data Science)
- * Digital Health, Internet of Things (IoT), Telemedicine, Wireless Sensor Network (Internet of Things (IoT))
- * Magnetic Nanoparticle (MNP) based Thermal Therapies (Hyperthermia)
Dr Malka N. Halgamuge is a Research Fellow / Scientist in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of University of Melbourne and Adjunct Professor at the Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), India. She obtained her PhD from the same department. She also a member of the Electromagnetic Radiation Safety Committee, The University of Melbourne, since Sep 2013.
She has published more than 88 articles attracting over 890 Citations (h-index = 15). Her Research Gate RG Score is 32.55. One of her papers has been selected as a highly cited paper by ISI's Essential Science Indicators (May 2014). She currently co-supervises a PhD student and she has co-supervised 4 PhD student to the completion (2013, 2015 & 2018) at the University of Melbourne as the Principle Supervisor.
Awarded the CAS President's International Fellowship from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, China (2017 & 2018), Incoming Leaders Fellowship from Australia India Institute @ Delhi (2016), Next Step Initiative Fellowship (2015), Australia-China Young Scientist Fellowship (2014), Dyason Fellowship to undertake research at Department of Epidemiology, University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles, USA (2013). Early Career Researcher (ECR) Award (2013) from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. Two of the papers she has co-authored with her PhD students received the Best Paper Award (2012) and Best Student Paper Award (2011). Awarded the Vice-Chancellor's Engagement Award (2010) and Vice-Chancellor's Knowledge Transfer Award (2008) for her research at the University of Melbourne. She also was awarded the Solander Fellowship (2007 and 2008) for research collaboration with the Departments of Neurosurgery and Radiation Physics, Lund University. She was among the short listed applicants for both 2009 and 2010 LOreal Australia for Women in Science Fellowship, out of over 200 female scientists applied in Australia.
She was the Keynote Speaker Kerala, India, Feb'18, Plenary Speaker for ICBET'18, Bali, Associate Editor for 2 International Journals, Editorial Board Member for 6 International Journals, an IEEE Senior Member and was the Program Co-Chair, Track Co-Chair, Publication Chair, Advisory Chair, Publicity Co-Chair, Track Chair, Track Co-chair, Session Chair and a Member of the Technical Program Committee (TPC) for 120 international conferences, Guest Editor for 3 Special Issues. She has presented 44 invited/guest lectures including Oxford University, Ohio State University and 7 IEEE talks and has conducted 15 journalists/media interviews and articles (Science Alert, Melbourne Voice, Moreland Leader and GradNews etc.) as well as two video interviews (ABC News, Australia-TV interview, 2014).
Malka's research has few themes: modelling and exploring of
- Data Science, Business Intelligence using Big Data
- Digital Health, Internet of Things (IoT), Telemedicine, Wireless Sensor Network
- Public Health: Bioelectromagnetics, Magnetic Nanoparticle (MNP) based Thermal Therapies /ol>
- Dissanayake C, Kotagiri R, Halgamuge M, Moran W. Improving accuracy of elephant localization using sound probes. APPLIED ACOUSTICS. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 129. DOI: 10.1016/j.apacoust.2017.07.007
- Halgamuge M, McLean L. Measurement and analysis of power-frequency magnetic fields in residences: Results from a pilot study. MEASUREMENT. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 125. DOI: 10.1016/j.measurement.2018.05.007
- Parra VM, Halgamuge M. Performance Evaluation of Big Data and Business Intelligence Open Source Tools: Pentaho and Jaspersoft. INTERNET OF THINGS AND BIG DATA ANALYTICS TOWARD NEXT-GENERATION INTELLIGENCE. Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 30. Editors: Dey N, Hassanien AE, Bhatt C, Ashour AS, Satapathy SC. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-60435-0_6
- Hewage TN, Halgamuge M, Syed A, Ekici G. Review: Big data techniques of google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter. Journal of Communications. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 2. DOI: 10.12720/jcm.13.2.94-100
- Ekanayake BNB, Halgamuge M, Syed A. Review: Security and Privacy Issues of Fog Computing for the Internet of Things (IoT). Cognitive Computing for Big Data Systems Over IoT. Springer International Publishing. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-70688-7_7
- Delgoda D, Malano H, Saleem SK, Halgamuge M. A novel generic optimization method for irrigation scheduling under multiple objectives and multiple hierarchical layers in a canal network. ADVANCES IN WATER RESOURCES. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 105. DOI: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2017.04.025
- Halgamuge M, Nirmalathas A. Analysis of large flood events: Based on flood data during 1985-2016 in Australia and India. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DISASTER RISK REDUCTION. Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 24. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2017.05.011
- Kalid S, Syed A, Mohammad A, Halgamuge M. Big-data NoSQL databases: A comparison and analysis of 'Big-Table', 'DynamoDB', and 'Cassandra'. 2017 IEEE 2nd International Conference on Big Data Analysis, ICBDA 2017. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/ICBDA.2017.8078782
- Jeewantha RA, Halgamuge M, Mohammad A, Ekici G. Classification performance analysis in medical science: Using kidney disease data. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2017, Vol. Part F132530. DOI: 10.1145/3152723.3152724
- Khan HA, Syed A, Mohammad A, Halgamuge M. Computer Virus and Protection Methods Using Lab Analysis. 2017 IEEE 2ND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BIG DATA ANALYSIS (ICBDA). IEEE. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/ICBDA.2017.8078765
- Halgamuge M. Machine Learning for Bioelectromagnetics: Prediction Model using Data of Weak Radiofrequency Radiation Effect on Plants. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ADVANCED COMPUTER SCIENCE AND APPLICATIONS. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 11. DOI: 10.14569/IJACSA.2017.081130
- Kaur K, Syed A, Mohammad A, Halgamuge M. Review: An evaluation of major threats in cloud computing associated with big data. 2017 IEEE 2nd International Conference on Big Data Analysis, ICBDA 2017. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/ICBDA.2017.8078842
- Halgamuge M. Review: Weak radiofrequency radiation exposure from mobile phone radiation on plants. ELECTROMAGNETIC BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 36, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1080/15368378.2016.1220389
- Wanigasooriya, CS, Halgamuge M, Mohammad A. The Analyzes of Anticancer Drug Sensitivity of Lung Cancer Cell Lines by Using Machine Learning Clustering Techniques. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA). 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 9. DOI: 10.14569/IJACSA.2017.080901
- Munugala S, Brar GK, Syed A, Mohammad A, Halgamuge M. The much needed security and data reforms of cloud computing in medical data storage. Applying Big Data Analytics in Bioinformatics and Medicine. 2017. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-2607-0.ch005
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile