Dr Malka Halgamuge
- * Biological Effects of Radio Frequency and Extremely Low-Frequency Electromagnetic Fields (Bioelectromagnetics)
- * Blockchain and Smart Contracts for Data/Transaction Security and Interactive Environment (Blockchain)
- * Data Science, Business Intelligence using Big Data (Data Science)
- * Internet of Things (IoT), Internet of medical Things (IoMT), Wireless Sensor Network (Internet of Things (IoT))
- * Magnetic Nanoparticle (MNP) based Thermal Therapies (Hyperthermia)
Dr Malka N. Halgamuge is a Research Fellow / Scientist in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of University of Melbourne and Adjunct Professor at the Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), India. She obtained her PhD from the same department. She also a member of the Electromagnetic Radiation Safety Committee, The University of Melbourne, since Sep 2013.
She has published more than 100 peer-reviewed publications attracting over 1139 Citations (h-index = 18). Her Research Gate RG Score is 35.76 and SciVal Field-Weighted Citation Impact = 1.04 (2016 - 2019). One of her papers has been selected as a highly cited paper by ISI's Essential Science Indicators (May 2014). She currently co-supervises a PhD student, and she has co-supervised 4 PhD students to the completion (2013, 2015 & 2018) at the University of Melbourne as the Principle Supervisor.
Awarded the CAS President's International Fellowship from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, China (2017 & 2018), Incoming Leaders Fellowship from Australia India Institute @ Delhi (2016), Next Step Initiative Fellowship (2015), Australia-China Young Scientist Fellowship (2014), Dyason Fellowship to undertake research at Department of Epidemiology, University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles, USA (2013), Early Career Researcher (ECR) Award (2013) from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. Two of the papers she has co-authored with her PhD students received the Best Paper Award (2012) and Best Student Paper Award (2011). Awarded the Vice-Chancellor's Engagement Award (2010) and Vice-Chancellor's Knowledge Transfer Award (2008) for her research at the University of Melbourne. She also was awarded the Solander Fellowship (2007 and 2008) for research collaboration with the Departments of Neurosurgery and Radiation Physics, Lund University. She was among the short-listed applicants for both 2009 and 2010 LOreal Australia for Women in Science Fellowship, out of over 200 female scientists applied in Australia.
She was the Keynote Speaker for EcoSSSoil'19, Seoul and EPRC'18, Kerala, India, Plenary Speaker for ICBET'18, Bali, Associate Editor for 2 International Journals, Editorial Board Member for 6 International Journals, an IEEE Senior Member. She was the Program Co-Chair, Track Co-Chair, Publication Chair, Advisory Chair, Publicity Co-Chair, Track Chair, Track Co-chair, Session Chair and a Member of the Technical Program Committee (TPC) for 150 international conferences, Guest Editor for 3 Special Issues. She has presented 46 invited/guest lectures including academia (Oxford University, Ohio State University), Industry (IBM, KPMG East Africa), and 7 IEEE talks. She has conducted 17 journalists/media interviews and articles (Science Alert, Melbourne Voice, Moreland Leader and GradNews etc.), two radio interviews and a TV interview (ABC News, Australia-TV interview).
Malka's research has few themes: modelling and exploring of
- Blockchain and Smart Contracts for Data/Transaction Security and Interactive Environment
- Data Science, Business Intelligence using Big Data
- Internet of Things (IoT), Wireless Sensor Network
- Public Health: Bioelectromagnetics, Magnetic Nanoparticle (MNP) based Thermal Therapies
- Saini GK, Halgamuge M, Sharma P, Purkis JS. A Review on Cyberattacks. Secure Cyber-Physical Systems for Smart Cities. IGI Global. 2019. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7189-6.ch008
- Madushanki R, Wirasagoda H, Halgamuge M. Adoption of the Internet of Things (IoT) in Agriculture and Smart Farming towards Urban Greening: A Review. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications. 2019, Vol. 10, Issue 4. DOI: 10.14569/IJACSA.2019.0100402
- Halgamuge M, Talpada H, Vinh NTQ. An Analysis on Use of Deep Learning and Lexical-Semantic Based Sentiment Analysis Method on Twitter Data to Understand the Demographic Trend of Telemedicine. IEEE International Conference on Knowledge and Systems Engineering. IEEE Press. 2019.
- Walia M, Halgamuge M, Hettikankanamage N, Bellamy C. Cloud Computing Security Issues of Sensitive Data: An Analysis. Handbook of Research on the IoT, Cloud Computing, and Wireless Network Optimization. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Singh S. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7335-7.ch004
- Chandrasiri GAP, Halgamuge M. Comparison Study of Applications of IoT in Health Care: Data Security in Telemedicine. Security, Privacy and Trust in the IoT Environment. 2019. Editors: Mahmood Z. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-18075-1_9
- Devarakonda S, Halgamuge M, Mohammad A. Critical Issues in the Invasion of the Internet of Things (IoT): Security, Privacy, and Other Vulnerabilities. Handbook of Research on Big Data and the IoT. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Gurjit K. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7432-3.ch010
- Pajaree T, Halgamuge M, Ali S. Distinguish Significant Adoption Factors That Influence Users' Behavioral Expectation to Utilize Mobile Payment: A Survey. Structural Equation Modeling Approaches to E-Service Adoption. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Yakup A. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-8015-7
- Pradhan S, Halgamuge M, Vinh NTQ. Effective Preprocessing Technique for Sentiment Analysis in Social Media Data. IEEE International Conference on Knowledge and Systems Engineering. IEEE Press. 2019.
- Ranasinghe M, Halgamuge M. Effective Solutions for Challenges in Cognitive Radio Networks. Next-Generation Wireless Networks Meet Advanced Machine Learning Applications. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: ComŞa I-S, Trestian R. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7458-3.ch005
- Pathirana A, Halgamuge M, Syed A. Energy Efficient Bitcoin Mining to Maximize the Mining Profit: Using Data from 119 Bitcoin Mining Hardware Setups. 262nd The IIER International Conference. 2019.
- Rupasinghe M, Halgamuge M, Vinh NTQ. Forecasting Trading-Time based Profit-Making Strategies in Forex Industry: Using Australian Forex Data. IEEE International Conference on Knowledge and Systems Engineering. IEEE Press. 2019.
- Halgamuge M, Davis D. Lessons learned from the applicatfon of machine learning to studies on plant response to radio-frequency. Environmental Research. Academic Press. 2019, Vol. 178. DOI: 10.1016/j.envres.2019.108634
- Alvarado J, Halgamuge M. New Era in the Supply Chain Management with Blockchain: A Survey. Industry 4.0 and Hyper-Customized Smart Manufacturing Supply Chains. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Ponnambalam SG. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-9078-1.ch001
- Amaraweera SP, Halgamuge M. Overview of Security and Privacy Issues Related to IoT in Healthcare Applications. Security, Privacy and Trust in the IoT Environment. 2019. Editors: Mahmood. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-18075-1_8
- Ranasinghe MP, Halgamuge M. Review. Advances in Wireless Technologies and Telecommunication. IGI Global. 2019. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7458-3.ch005
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile