Dr Malka Halgamuge
- * Biological Effects of Radio Frequency and Extremely Low-Frequency Electromagnetic Fields (Bioelectromagnetics)
- * Blockchain and Smart Contracts for Data/Transaction Security and Interactive Environment (Blockchain)
- * Data Science, Business Intelligence using Big Data (Data Science)
- * Internet of Things (IoT), Internet of medical Things (IoMT), Wireless Sensor Network (Internet of Things (IoT))
- * Magnetic Nanoparticle (MNP) based Thermal Therapies (Hyperthermia)
Dr Malka N. Halgamuge is a Research Fellow / Scientist in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of University of Melbourne and Adjunct Professor at the Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), India. She obtained her PhD from the same department. She also a member of the Electromagnetic Radiation Safety Committee, The University of Melbourne, since Sep 2013.
She has published more than 100 articles attracting over 1030 Citations (h-index = 17). Her Research Gate RG Score is 35.36 and SciVal Field-Weighted Citation Impact = 1.04 (2016 - 2019). One of her papers has been selected as a highly cited paper by ISI's Essential Science Indicators (May 2014). She currently co-supervises a PhD student and she has co-supervised 4 PhD student to the completion (2013, 2015 & 2018) at the University of Melbourne as the Principle Supervisor.
Awarded the CAS President's International Fellowship from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, China (2017 & 2018), Incoming Leaders Fellowship from Australia India Institute @ Delhi (2016), Next Step Initiative Fellowship (2015), Australia-China Young Scientist Fellowship (2014), Dyason Fellowship to undertake research at Department of Epidemiology, University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles, USA (2013). Early Career Researcher (ECR) Award (2013) from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. Two of the papers she has co-authored with her PhD students received the Best Paper Award (2012) and Best Student Paper Award (2011). Awarded the Vice-Chancellor's Engagement Award (2010) and Vice-Chancellor's Knowledge Transfer Award (2008) for her research at the University of Melbourne. She also was awarded the Solander Fellowship (2007 and 2008) for research collaboration with the Departments of Neurosurgery and Radiation Physics, Lund University. She was among the short listed applicants for both 2009 and 2010 LOreal Australia for Women in Science Fellowship, out of over 200 female scientists applied in Australia.
She was the Keynote Speaker Kerala, India, Feb'18, Plenary Speaker for ICBET'18, Bali, Associate Editor for 2 International Journals, Editorial Board Member for 6 International Journals, an IEEE Senior Member and was the Program Co-Chair, Track Co-Chair, Publication Chair, Advisory Chair, Publicity Co-Chair, Track Chair, Track Co-chair, Session Chair and a Member of the Technical Program Committee (TPC) for 150 international conferences, Guest Editor for 3 Special Issues. She has presented 46 invited/guest lectures including Oxford University, Ohio State University and 7 IEEE talks and has conducted 16 journalists/media interviews and articles (Science Alert, Melbourne Voice, Moreland Leader and GradNews etc.) as well as two video interviews (ABC News, Australia-TV interview, 2014).
Malka's research has few themes: modelling and exploring of
- Blockchain and Smart Contracts for Data/Transaction Security and Interactive Environment
- Data Science, Business Intelligence in Big Data
- Internet of Things (IoT), Wireless Sensor Network
- Public Health: Bioelectromagnetics, Magnetic Nanoparticle (MNP) based Thermal Therapies
- Madushanki R, Wirasagoda H, Halgamuge M. Adoption of the Internet of Things (IoT) in Agriculture and Smart Farming towards Urban Greening: A Review. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications. 2019, Vol. 10, Issue 4. DOI: 10.14569/IJACSA.2019.0100402
- Walia M, Halgamuge M, Hettikankanamage N, Bellamy C. Cloud Computing Security Issues of Sensitive Data: An Analysis. Handbook of Research on the IoT, Cloud Computing, and Wireless Network Optimization. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Singh S. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7335-7.ch004
- Chandrasiri GAP, Halgamuge M. Comparison Study of Applications of IoT in Health Care: Data Security in Telemedicine. Security, Privacy and Trust in the IoT Environment. 2019. Editors: Mahmood Z. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-18075-1_9
- Devarakonda S, Halgamuge M, Mohammad A. Critical Issues in the Invasion of the Internet of Things (IoT): Security, Privacy, and Other Vulnerabilities. Handbook of Research on Big Data and the IoT. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Gurjit K. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7432-3.ch010
- Pajaree T, Halgamuge M, Ali S. Distinguish Significant Adoption Factors That Influence Users' Behavioral Expectation to Utilize Mobile Payment: A Survey. Structural Equation Modeling Approaches to E-Service Adoption. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Yakup A. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-8015-7
- Ranasinghe M, Halgamuge M. Effective Solutions for Challenges in Cognitive Radio Networks. Next-Generation Wireless Networks Meet Advanced Machine Learning Applications. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: ComŞa I-S, Trestian R. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-7458-3.ch005
- Alvarado J, Halgamuge M. New Era in the Supply Chain Management with Blockchain: A Survey. Industry 4.0 and Hyper-Customized Smart Manufacturing Supply Chains. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Ponnambalam SG. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-9078-1.ch001
- Amaraweera SP, Halgamuge M. Overview of Security and Privacy Issues Related to IoT in Healthcare Applications. Security, Privacy and Trust in the IoT Environment. 2019. Editors: Mahmood. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-18075-1_8
- Singh M, Halgamuge M, Ekici G, Jayasekara CS. A Review on Security and Privacy Challenges of Big Data. Cognitive Computing for Big Data Systems Over IoT. Springer International Publishing. 2018, Vol. 14. Editors: Sangaiah AK, Thangavelu A, Sundaram VM. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-70688-7_8
- Dissanayake C, Kotagiri R, Halgamuge M, Moran W. Improving accuracy of elephant localization using sound probes. APPLIED ACOUSTICS. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 129. DOI: 10.1016/j.apacoust.2017.07.007
- Halgamuge M, McLean L. Measurement and analysis of power-frequency magnetic fields in residences: Results from a pilot study. MEASUREMENT. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 125. DOI: 10.1016/j.measurement.2018.05.007
- Parra VM, Halgamuge M. Performance Evaluation of Big Data and Business Intelligence Open Source Tools: Pentaho and Jaspersoft. INTERNET OF THINGS AND BIG DATA ANALYTICS TOWARD NEXT-GENERATION INTELLIGENCE. Springer International Publishing. 2018, Vol. 30. Editors: Dey N, Hassanien AE, Bhatt C, Ashour AS, Satapathy SC. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-60435-0_6
- Wijesundera I, Halgamuge M, Nirmalathas A, Nanayakkara T. Predicting the mean first passage time (MFPT) to reach any state for a passive dynamic walker with steady state variability. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0207665
- Bashya C, Halgamuge M, Mohammad A. Review on Analysis of the Application Areas and Algorithms used in Data Wrangling in Big Data. Cognitive Computing for Big Data Systems Over IoT. Springer International Publishing. 2018, Vol. 14. Editors: Sangaiah AK, Thangavelu A, Sundaram VM. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-70688-7_14
- Hewage TN, Halgamuge M, Syed A, Ekici G. Review: Big data techniques of google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter. Journal of Communications. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 2. DOI: 10.12720/jcm.13.2.94-100
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile