Professor Chris Manzie
- Control and optimisation (Mechatronics, energy, automotive, autonomous systems)
Chris Manzie is currently a full Professor and Head of Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne, and also the Director of the Melbourne Information, Decision and Autonomous Systems (MIDAS) Laboratory, which includes academics from multiple faculties including Engineering, Science and Law. Over the period 2003-2016, he was an academic in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, with responsibilities including Assistant Dean with the portfolio of Research Training (2011-2017), and Mechatronics Program Director (2009-2016). Professor Manzie was also a Visiting Scholar with the University of California, San Diego in 2007 and a Visiteur Scientifique at IFP Energies Nouvelles, Rueil Malmaison in 2012.
His research interests are in model-based and model-free control and optimisation, with applications in a range of areas including systems related to energy, transportation and mechatronics and he has published over 170 refereed journal and conference articles. He is currently supported by industry collaborations with Toyota Motor Corporation, ANCA Motion and the Defence Science and Technology Group, and has been an investigator on over $15M of grant funding and research contracts.
He is currently an Associate Editor for Elsevier Control Engineering Practice; IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics; IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology; and Elsevier Mechatronics.
- Wang K, Ruppert MG, Manzie C, Nesic D, Yong YK. Adaptive Scan for Atomic Force Microscopy Based on Online Optimization: Theory and Experiment. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. IEEE Control Systems Society. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/TCST.2019.2895798
- Yuan M, Manzie C, Good M, Shames I, Keynejad F, Robinette T. Bounded error tracking control for contouring systems with end effector measurements. 2019 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT). IEEE. 2019, Vol. 2019-February. DOI: 10.1109/ICIT.2019.8755064
- Liao C, Manzie C, Chapman A, Alpcan T. Constrained extremum seeking of a MIMO dynamic system. AUTOMATICA. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 108. DOI: 10.1016/j.automatica.2019.108496
- Pavlov A, Shames I, Manzie C. Early termination of NMPC interior point solvers: Relating the duality gap to stability. 2019 18th European Control Conference, ECC 2019. 2019. DOI: 10.23919/ECC.2019.8795629
- Robinson M, Mayer R, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Manzie C. Effects of varying the rest period on the onset angle of lumbar flexion-relaxation in simulated sheep shearing: a preliminary study.. IEEE Int Conf Rehabil Robot. 2019, Vol. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/ICORR.2019.8779480
- Sankar GS, Shekhar R, Manzie C, Sano T, Nakada H. Fast Calibration of a Robust Model Predictive Controller for Diesel Engine Airpath. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. IEEE Control Systems Society. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/TCST.2019.2917686
- Gowri Sankar G, Shekhar R, Manzie C, Sano T, Nakada H. Model predictive controller with average emissions constraints for diesel airpath. CONTROL ENGINEERING PRACTICE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 90. DOI: 10.1016/j.conengprac.2019.06.021
- Garcia-Rosas R, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Choong P. Personalized Online Adaptation of Kinematic Synergies for Human-Prosthesis Interfaces.. IEEE Trans Cybern. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/TCYB.2019.2920376
- Shaw-Cortez W, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Choong P. Robust object manipulation for tactile-based blind grasping. Control Engineering Practice. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 92. DOI: 10.1016/j.conengprac.2019.104136
- Shaw-Cortez W, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Choong P. Tactile-based blind grasping: Trajectory tracking and disturbance rejection for in-hand manipulation of unknown objects. Proceedings of the American Control Conference. American Automatic Control Council. 2019, Vol. 2019-July.
- Michael E, Wood TA, Manzie C, Shames I. Uncertainty intervals for robust bottleneck assignment. 2019 18th European Control Conference, ECC 2019. 2019. DOI: 10.23919/ECC.2019.8795961
- Olshina N, Manzie C, Hield P, Brear M. A Framework for Robust Nonlinear Economic MPC Without Terminal Constraints for a Class of Time Varying Systems. 15th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV). IEEE. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ICARCV.2018.8581227
- Ira AS, Shames I, Manzie C, Chin R, Nesic D, Nakada H, Sano T. A machine learning approach for tuning model predictive controllers. 15th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV). IEEE. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ICARCV.2018.8581227
- Schoof E, Manzie C, Shames I, Chapman A, Oetomo D. An Experimental Platform for Heterogeneous Multi-Vehicle Missions. 2018 International Conference on Science and Innovation for Land Power (ICSILP). 2018.
- Deghat M, Ahmadizadeh S, Nesic D, Manzie C. Closeness of Solutions for Singularly Perturbed Systems via Averaging. 2018 IEEE CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/CDC.2018.8619270
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile