- Demand Response Modelling
- Electricity Markets
- Power System Operation
Shariq Riaz is Research Fellow in the Power and Energy Systems Group at the University of Melbourne. He has expertise in optimisation, power system operation, demand response modelling, and electricity markets. His research interests include integration of renewable generation, storage, virtual power plants and prosumers into electricity markets. He is currently undertaking research on techno-economic modelling and optimisation of integrated energy systems. In his research he is looking forward to develop models and tools to understand the interaction of different energy vectors in the context of future energy systems and formulation of sustainable business cases for renewable while ensuring economical and secure transition to low carbon energy systems.
Shariq Riaz received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Engineering and Technology Lahore, Pakistan in 2009 and 2012, respectively, and the PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Sydney in 2018. Prior to his current role he worked in various capacities as an academic at University of Engineering and Technology from 2009 to 2014, and at The University of Sydney from 2014 to 2018.
- Riaz S, VerbiČ G, Chapman AC. Computationally efficient market simulation tool for future grid scenario analysis. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2019, Vol. 10, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TSG.2017.2765662
- Riaz S, Marzooghi H, Verbic G, Chapman AC, Hill DJ. Generic Demand Model Considering the Impact of Prosumers for Future Grid Scenario Analysis. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2019, Vol. 10, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/TSG.2017.2752712
- Ahmadyar AS, Riaz S, Verbic G, Chapman A, Hill DJ. A Framework for Assessing Renewable Integration Limits With Respect to Frequency Performance. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 33, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2017.2773091
- Pantos M, Riaz S, Chapman AC, Verbic G. Capacity firming of intermittent generation by dispersed energy storage. 2017 Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference, AUPEC 2017. 2018, Vol. 2017-November. DOI: 10.1109/AUPEC.2017.8282510
- Ahmadyar AS, Riaz S, Verbic G, Riesz J, Chapman A. Assessment of Minimum Inertia Requirement for System Frequency Stability. 2016 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON POWER SYSTEM TECHNOLOGY (POWERCON). IEEE. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/POWERCON.2016.7753912
- Riaz S, Chapman AC, Verbic G. Evaluation of Concentrated Solar-Thermal Generation for Provision of Power System Flexibility. 19th Power Systems Computation Conference (PSCC). IEEE. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/PSCC.2016.7540955
- Riaz S, Marzooghi H, Verbic G, Chapman AC, Hill DJ. Impact Study of Prosumers on Loadability and Voltage Stability of Future Grids. 2016 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON POWER SYSTEM TECHNOLOGY (POWERCON). IEEE. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/POWERCON.2016.7753922
- Riaz S, Chapman AC, Verbic G. Comparing utility and residential battery storage for increasing flexibility of power systems. 2015 AUSTRALASIAN UNIVERSITIES POWER ENGINEERING CONFERENCE (AUPEC). IEEE. 2015. DOI: 10.1109/AUPEC.2015.7324836