Professor William Shieh
- Instrumentation (Low noise instrumentation)
- Telecommunications (Coherent Communications)
Professor Bill Shieh is an ARC Future Fellow in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
In October 2010 Prof Shieh was elected as a Fellow Member of the Optical Society of America (OSA) whose membership totals 16,000 individuals from over 95 countries. Fellow membership is limited to no more than ten percent of the OSA membership and is for members who have served with distinction in the advancement of optics. He was honored specifically for seminal contributions to the development and applications of coherent optical olthogonal frequency-division multiplexing in optical communications.
In January 2013, Professor William Shieh was elected as an IEEE Fellow. As it stands today, the IEEE Grade of Fellow is conferred by the IEEE Board of Directors upon a person with an extraordinary record of accomplishments in any of the IEEE fields of interest. The total number selected in any one year does not exceed one-tenth of one percent of the total voting Institute membership. He was elevated to the IEEE Fellow Grade for contributions to coherent optical orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing.
- Che D, Shieh W. Achievable Rate Comparison between Entropy and Bit Loading in a 100-Gb/s DM-DD DMT System. 2019 Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition (OFC). IEEE. 2019.
- Ji H, Che D, Sun C, Fang J, Milione G, Rajasekharan Unnithan R, Shieh W. High-dimensional Stokes vector direct detection over few-mode fibers. OPTICS LETTERS. Optical Society of America. 2019, Vol. 44, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1364/OL.44.002065
- Sun C, Che D, Ji H, Shieh W. Investigation of single- and multi-carrier modulation formats for Kramers-Kronig and SSBI iterative cancellation receivers. OPTICS LETTERS. Optical Society of America. 2019, Vol. 44, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1364/OL.44.001785
- Fang J, Milione G, Stone J, Peng G, Li M-J, Ip E, Li Y, Ji PN, Huang Y-K, Huang M-F, Murakami S, Shieh W, Wang T. Multi-parameter distributed fiber sensing with higher-order optical and acoustic modes.. Opt Lett. 2019, Vol. 44, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1364/OL.44.001096
- Che D, Sun C, Shieh W. Optical Field Recovery in Stokes Space. JOURNAL OF LIGHTWAVE TECHNOLOGY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2019, Vol. 37, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2018.2879181
- Shieh W, Che D. Optical Field Recovery via Stokes Vector Direct Detection. 2019 Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition (OFC). IEEE Circuits and Systems Society. 2019.
- Che D, Chandrasekhar S, Chen X, Raybon G, Winzer P, Sun C, Shieh W. Single-Channel Direct Detection Reception beyond 1 Tb/s. 2019 Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition (OFC). IEEE. 2019.
- Che D, Shieh W. Squeezing out the last few bits from band-limited channels with entropy loading. OPTICS EXPRESS. Optical Society of America. 2019, Vol. 27, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1364/OE.27.009321
- Sun C, Che D, Ji H, Shieh W. Study of Chromatic Dispersion Impacts on Kramers-Kronig and SSBI Iterative Cancellation Receiver. IEEE PHOTONICS TECHNOLOGY LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2019, Vol. 31, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1109/LPT.2019.2892815
- Sun C, Che D, Ji H, Shieh W. Towards Low Carrier-to-Signal Power Ratio for Kramers-Kronig Receiver. 2019 Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition (OFC). IEEE. 2019.
- Sun M, Taha M, Walia S, Bhaskaran M, Sriram S, Shieh W, Rajasekharan Unnithan R. A Photonic Switch Based on a Hybrid Combination of Metallic Nanoholes and Phase-change Vanadium Dioxide. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-29476-6
- Che D, Shieh W. Adaptive Multicarrier Modulation for Flexible Optical Networks. 23rd Opto-Electronics and Communications Conference (OECC). IEEE. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/OECC.2018.8730043
- Che D, Sun C, Shieh W. Analog Polarization Identification for Asymmetric Polarization Modulations in Stokes Space. 2018 European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC). IEEE. 2018, Vol. 2018-September. DOI: 10.1109/ECOC.2018.8535207
- Che D, Shieh W. Approaching the Capacity of Colored-SNR Optical Channels by Multicarrier Entropy Loading. JOURNAL OF LIGHTWAVE TECHNOLOGY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 36, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2017.2778290
- Sun C, Che D, Shieh W. Comparison of Chromatic Dispersion Sensitivity between Kramers-Kronig and SSBI Iterative Cancellation Receiver. 2018 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXPOSITION (OFC). IEEE. 2018, Vol. Part F84-OFC 2018. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2018.W4E.4
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile