Professor Robin Evans
- Control Systems
- Radar Systems
- Signal Processing
Rob Evans is a Laureate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Prof Evans is also the Director of the Victoria Research Laboratory of National ICT Australia (NICTA) at The University of Melbourne.
After completing a BEng degree in electrical engineering at The University of Melbourne in 1969, he worked as a radar systems engineering officer with the Royal Australian Airforce. He completed a PhD in 1975 at the University of Newcastle followed by postdoctoral studies at the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems, MIT, and the Control and Management Department, Cambridge University, UK. In 1977 he took up an academic position at the University of Newcastle, where he was Head of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering from 1986-1991, and Co-Director of the Centre on Industrial Control Systems between 1988-1991.
In 1992 he moved to The University of Melbourne, where he was Head of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering until 1996. He was research leader for the Cooperative Centre for Sensor Signal and Information Processing until 2000 and Director of the Centre for Networked Decision Systems until 2004. His research has ranged across many areas including theory and applications in industrial control, radar systems, signal processing and telecommunications. Prof Evans is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (FAA), a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (FTSE), and Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia (FIEAust) and a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (FIEEE).
- Alpcan T, Nekouei E, Nair G, Evans R. An Information Analysis of Iterative Algorithms for Network Utility Maximization and Strategic Games. IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2019, Vol. 6, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/TCNS.2018.2802869
- Yong J, Liang Y, Yu Y, Hassan B, Hossain M, Ganesan K, Rajasekharan Unnithan R, Evans R, Egan G, Chana G, Nasr B, Skafidas E. Fully Solution-Processed Transparent Artificial Neural Network Using Drop-On-Demand Electrohydrodynamic Printing. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 19. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.9b02465
- Skaria S, Al-Hourani A, Lech M, Evans R. Hand-Gesture Recognition Using Two-Antenna Doppler Radar With Deep Convolutional Neural Networks. IEEE SENSORS JOURNAL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2019, Vol. 19, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2019.2892073
- Evans R, Richardson TS. Smooth, identifiable supermodels of discrete DAG models with latent variables. Bernoulli. International Statistical Institute. 2019, Vol. 25, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3150/17-BEJ1005
- Shpitser I, Evans R, Richardson TS. Acyclic linear SEMs obey the Nested Markov property. 34th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence 2018, UAI 2018. 2018, Vol. 2.
- Nekouei E, Alpcan T, Nair G, Evans R. Convergence Analysis of Quantized Primal-Dual Algorithms in Network Utility Maximization Problems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL OF NETWORK SYSTEMS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 5, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/TCNS.2016.2606897
- Eltom H, Kandeepan S, Liang Y-C, Evans R. Cooperative Soft Fusion for HMM-Based Spectrum Occupancy Prediction. IEEE COMMUNICATIONS LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 22, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1109/LCOMM.2018.2861008
- Hassan B, Liang Y, Yong J, Yu Y, Ganesan K, Walla A, Evans R, Chana G, Nasr B, Skafidas E. Facile fabrication of an electrolyte-gated In2O3 nanoparticle-based thin-film transistor uniting laser ablation and inkjet printing. FLEXIBLE AND PRINTED ELECTRONICS. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2018, Vol. 3, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1088/2058-8585/aaed19
- Iakovlev S, Evans R, Mareels I. Fixed-point algorithm for identification of line impedances in low voltage power networks based on smart meter data. 2018 IEEE CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018.
- Al Homssi B, Al-Hourani A, Evans R, Chavez KG, Kandeepan S, Rowe WST, Loney M. Free Spectrum for IoT: How Much Can It Take?. 2018 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMMUNICATIONS WORKSHOPS (ICC WORKSHOPS). IEEE. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ICCW.2018.8403749
- Sun L, Melatos A, Suvorova S, Moran W, Evans R. Hidden Markov model tracking of continuous gravitational waves from young supernova remnants. PHYSICAL REVIEW D. American Physical Society. 2018, Vol. 97, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevD.97.043013
- Amarasekara B, Ranaweera C, Evans R, Nirmalathas A. Hierarchical aggregation method for a scalable implementation of demand side management. COMPUTERS & OPERATIONS RESEARCH. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 96. DOI: 10.1016/j.cor.2017.10.008
- Nekouei E, Alpcan T, Evans R. Impact of quantized inter-agent communications on game-theoretic and distributed optimization algorithms. Systems and Control: Foundations and Applications. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-04630-9_15
- Evans R. Margins of discrete Bayesian networks. Annals of Statistics. Institute of Mathematical Statistics. 2018, Vol. 46, Issue 6A. DOI: 10.1214/17-AOS1631
- Islam T, Kandeepan S, Evans R. Monte-Carlo Simulation based Analysis of Sender-Jump Receiver-Wait Rendezvous Technique with Asymmetric Channels for Cognitive Networks. 12th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS). IEEE. 2018. Editors: Wysocki TA, Wysocki BJ.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile