Professor Ampalavanapillai Nirmalathas
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Communications,Internet, Broadband Access Networks, Optical networks, Transmission systems (Optical communications, Photonics, Microwave photonics, Terahertz photonics)
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Professor Thas (Ampalavanapillai) Nirmalathas
Professor Thas Nirmalathas is the Director of Melbourne Networked Society Institute which is an interdisciplinary research institutes focusing on challenges and opportunities arising from society's transition to a networked society. He also provides the academic leadership to the Melbourne Accelerator Programs (MAP) which he co-founded to support entrepreneurial activities of the University Community through business acceleration models.
Prof Nirmalathas obtained his BEng and PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Melbourne in 1993 and 1998 respectively. Between 2000 and 2004, he was the Director of Photonics Research Laboratory (Melbourne Node of Australian Photonics CRC) and also the Program Leader of Telecommunications Technologies Program. From 2004 to 2006, he was the Program Leader for the Network Technologies Research Program in NICTA. He was also the acting Lab Director of VRL in 2007. Between 2006 and 2008, He was the Research Group Manager of the Networked Systems Group of Victoria Research Laboratory (VRL) at the National ICT Australia (NICTA), a premier Australian research centre of excellence in ICT. Between 2010 and 2012, he was the Head, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne
He has written more than 400 technical articles and currently hold 2 active international patents and 1 provisional patent application in the process. His research interests include microwave photonics, optical-wireless network integration, broadband networks, and scalability of telecom and Internet services.
He has serviced as chair of steering committees of Asia Pacific Microwave Photonics and IEEE Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics Conference series in 2008/2009. He is also a member of the Steering Committee for the International Conference on Optical Internet (COIN). He was also Guest Editor for Special Issue on Opto-Electronics and Communications of the IEICE Transactions in Communications. He was the General Co-Chair of 2008 IEEE Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics/ Asia Pacific Microwave Photonics 2008. He is currently an Associate Editor of IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology. He is a Senior Member of IEEE, a member of Optical Society of America and a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia.
- Thananjeyan S, Chan C, Wong E, Nirmalathas A. Deployment and Resource Distribution of Mobile Edge Hosts Based on Correlated User Mobility. IEEE Access. 2019, Vol. 7. DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2885119
- Ranaweera C, Wong E, Nirmalathas A, Jayasundara C, Lim C. 5G C-RAN With Optical Fronthaul: An Analysis From a Deployment Perspective. JOURNAL OF LIGHTWAVE TECHNOLOGY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 36, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2017.2782822
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Wong E, Alameh K, Li H, Skafidas E. 80 Gb/sFree-Space Reconfigurable Optical Interconnects with Carrierless-Amplitude-Phase Modulation and Space-Time Block Code. 2018 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXPOSITION (OFC). IEEE. 2018, Vol. Part F84-OFC 2018. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2018.M2K.6
- Jurado Lasso F, Clarke K, Nirmalathas A. A Software-Defined Networking framework for IoT based on 6LoWPAN. 2018 WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS SYMPOSIUM (WTS). IEEE. 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1109/WTS.2018.8363938
- Tian Y, Lee K, Lim C, Nirmalathas A. Demonstration of Non-Orthogonal Multiple Access Scheme using Multilevel Coding without Successive Interference Cancellation with 60 GHz Radio-over-Fiber Fronthaul. 2018 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXPOSITION (OFC). IEEE. 2018, Vol. Part F84-OFC 2018. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2018.TU3J.4
- Tian Y, Lee K, Lim C, Nirmalathas A. Demonstration of non-orthogonal multiple access scheme using multilevel coding without successive interference cancellation with 60 GHz radio-over-fiber fronthaul. 2018 Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exposition, OFC 2018 - Proceedings. 2018.
- Lim C, Ranaweera C, Wong E, Nirmalathas A. Design and Planning for Fiber-Based Small Cell Backhauling. International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.1109/ICTON.2018.8473967
- Edirisinghe S, Lim C, Nirmalathas A, Wong E, Wang K, Alameh K. Dynamic Tuning of Contention Window for Optical Wireless Networks. 2018 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXPOSITION (OFC). IEEE. 2018, Vol. Part F84-OFC 2018. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2018.M2K.8
- Edirisinghe S, Lim C, Nirmalathas A, Wong E, Wang K, Alameh K. Dynamic tuning of contention window for optical wireless networks. 2018 Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exposition, OFC 2018 - Proceedings. 2018.
- Lim C, Tian Y, Ranaweera C, Nirmalathas A, Wong E, Lee K. Evolution of Radio-over-Fiber Technology. Journal of Lightwave Technology. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2018.2876722
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Wong E, Alameh K, Li H, Skafidas E. Experimental Demonstration of a 12.5 Gb/s Indoor Optical Wireless Communication System with Silicon Integrated Photonic Circuit. 2018 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXPOSITION (OFC). IEEE. 2018, Vol. Part F84-OFC 2018. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2018.M1F.2
- Amarasekara B, Ranaweera C, Evans R, Nirmalathas A. Hierarchical aggregation method for a scalable implementation of demand side management. COMPUTERS & OPERATIONS RESEARCH. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 96. DOI: 10.1016/j.cor.2017.10.008
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Wong E, Alameh K, Li H, Skafidas E. High-speed indoor optical wireless communication system employing a silicon integrated photonic circuit. OPTICS LETTERS. Optical Society of America. 2018, Vol. 43, Issue 13. DOI: 10.1364/OL.43.003132
- Nirmalathas A. How Is the Networked Society Impacting Us?. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IEEE. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 106, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1109/JPROC.2018.2806093
- Tian Y, Lim C, Nirmalathas A, Lee K. Multi-cell coordination for 60 GHz RoF fronthaul enabled by a non-orthogonal multiple access scheme without successive interference cancellation. OPTICS LETTERS. Optical Society of America. 2018, Vol. 43, Issue 17. DOI: 10.1364/OL.43.004236
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile