Professor William Shieh
- Instrumentation (Low noise instrumentation)
- Telecommunications (Coherent Communications)
Professor Bill Shieh is an ARC Future Fellow in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
In October 2010 Prof Shieh was elected as a Fellow Member of the Optical Society of America (OSA) whose membership totals 16,000 individuals from over 95 countries. Fellow membership is limited to no more than ten percent of the OSA membership and is for members who have served with distinction in the advancement of optics. He was honored specifically for seminal contributions to the development and applications of coherent optical olthogonal frequency-division multiplexing in optical communications.
In January 2013, Professor William Shieh was elected as an IEEE Fellow. As it stands today, the IEEE Grade of Fellow is conferred by the IEEE Board of Directors upon a person with an extraordinary record of accomplishments in any of the IEEE fields of interest. The total number selected in any one year does not exceed one-tenth of one percent of the total voting Institute membership. He was elevated to the IEEE Fellow Grade for contributions to coherent optical orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing.
- Che D, Shieh W. Approaching the Capacity of Colored-SNR Optical Channels by Multicarrier Entropy Loading. JOURNAL OF LIGHTWAVE TECHNOLOGY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 36, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2017.2778290
- Sun C, Che D, Shieh W. Comparison of chromatic dispersion sensitivity between Kramers-Kronig and SSBI iterative cancellation receiver. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers. 2018, Vol. Part F84-OFC 2018. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2018.W4E.4
- Fang J, Sun M, Che D, Myers M, Bao H, Prohasky C, Shieh W. Complex Brillouin Optical Time-Domain Analysis. JOURNAL OF LIGHTWAVE TECHNOLOGY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 36, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2018.2792440
- Che D, Sun C, Shieh W. Direct detection of the optical field beyond single polarization mode. OPTICS EXPRESS. Optical Society of America. 2018, Vol. 26, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1364/OE.26.003368
- Che D, Shieh W. Entropy loading for band-limited meshed-optical- networks: The multicarrier advantage. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers. 2018, Vol. Part F84-OFC 2018. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2018.Th1F.1
- Che D, Li A, Shieh W. Entropy loading for multi-carrier optical systems. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. 2018, Vol. 10561. DOI: 10.1117/12.2295883
- Che D, Li A, Chen X, Hu Q, Shieh W. Rejuvenating direct modulation and direct detection for modern optical communications. OPTICS COMMUNICATIONS. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 409. DOI: 10.1016/j.optcom.2017.09.089
- Che D, Sun C, Shieh W. Single-channel 480-Gb/s direct detection of POL-MUX IQ signal using single-sideband stokes vector receiver. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers. 2018, Vol. Part F84-OFC 2018. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2018.TU2C.7
- Che D, Yuan F, Shieh W. 100-Gb/s Complex Direct Modulation over 1600-km SSMF Using Probabilistic Transition Estimation. 2017 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION (OFC). IEEE. 2017, Vol. Part F40-OFC 2017. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2017.M3C.5
- Che D, Yuan F, Shieh W. 200-Gb/s Polarization-Multiplexed DMT using Stokes Vector Receiver with Frequency-Domain MIMO. 2017 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION (OFC). IEEE. 2017, Vol. Part F40-OFC 2017. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2017.Tu3D.4
- Che D, Yuan F, Shieh W. Adiabatic Chirp Impact on the OSNR Sensitivity of Complex Direct Modulation: An Experiment Investigation. 2017 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION (OFC). IEEE. 2017, Vol. Part F40-OFC 2017. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2017.Th2A.47
- Fang J, Sun M, Che D, Myers M, Shieh W. Complex domain Brillouin frequency estimation for distributed fiber sensing. 30TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE PHOTONICS SOCIETY (IPC). IEEE. 2017.
- Wang Y, Chen X, Fang J, Li A, Yang Q, Shieh W. Complex imaging for detecting few-mode fiber modes. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers. 2017, Vol. Part F59-SPPCom 2017. DOI: 10.1364/SPPCOM.2017.SpTh2D.3
- Wang Y, Fang J, Li A, Yang Q, Shieh W. Complex imaging via coherent detection. Optics Express. Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 15. DOI: 10.1364/OE.25.017294
- Sun M, Shieh W, Rajasekharan Unnithan R. Design of Plasmonic Modulators With Vanadium Dioxide on Silicon-on-Insulator. IEEE PHOTONICS JOURNAL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1109/JPHOT.2017.2690448
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile