Professor Doreen Thomas
- Computational neuroscience (plasticity)
- Electric vehicle charging and grid constraints
- Optimal network design
- Underground mine access design
- Wireless sensor networks
Professor Doreen Thomas completed a BSc at the University of Cape Town, her Honours year in Mathematics at the University of Witwatersrand and then a MSc and DPhil Degree in Mathematics at St Anne's College, University of Oxford.
Professor Thomas has applied her fundamental mathematical research in network optimisation to applications in a number of areas including underground mine access. The software encapsulating her work has been licensed to mining companies such as BHP Billiton, Newmont and Rio Tonto to reduce underground mine development and haulage costs. She is the director of a start-up company MineOptima, through which the software has been commercialised. It has been included in the international mining software company Maptek's Vulcan software as well as Deswik's.
She has over 150 publications in international peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
She has always placed a great emphasis on teaching and was head of the Engineering Mathematics program at the University of Melbourne from 1999-2008. In 2011, she was awarded a Citation for an Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning by the Australian Learning and Teaching Council.
Professor Thomas is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering. She is also a Fellow of Engineers Australia.
- Whittle D, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Combined optimisation of an open-pit mine outline and the transition depth to underground mining. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF OPERATIONAL RESEARCH. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 268, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejor.2018.02.005
- Kirszenblat D, Sirinanda KG, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Minimal curvature-constrained networks. Journal of Global Optimization. Springer. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s10898-018-0625-2
- Kolluri RR, Mareels I, Alpcan T, Brazil M, De Hoog J, Thomas D. Stability and active power sharing in droop controlled inverter interfaced microgrids: Effect of clock mismatches. Automatica. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 93. DOI: 10.1016/j.automatica.2018.03.025
- Ras C, Swanepoel K, Thomas D. Approximate Euclidean Steiner Trees. JOURNAL OF OPTIMIZATION THEORY AND APPLICATIONS. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers. 2017, Vol. 172, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1007/s10957-016-1036-5
- Kolluri R, Mareels I, Alpcan T, Brazil M, De Hoog J, Thomas D. Power Sharing in Angle Droop Controlled Microgrids. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 32, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2017.2672569
- De Hoog J, Alpcan T, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. A Market Mechanism for Electric Vehicle Charging Under Network Constraints. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 7, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TSG.2015.2495181
- Brazil M, Ras C, Thomas D. An exact algorithm for the bottleneck 2-connected k-Steiner network problem in L-p planes. DISCRETE APPLIED MATHEMATICS. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 201. DOI: 10.1016/j.dam.2015.07.029
- Whittle D, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Determining the open pit to underground transition: A review of existing methods and a proposed new method. 7th International Conference & Exhibition on Mass Mining. AusIMM. 2016.
- Sirinanda K, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Gradient-constrained discounted Steiner trees I: optimal tree configurations. JOURNAL OF GLOBAL OPTIMIZATION. Springer. 2016, Vol. 64, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1007/s10898-015-0326-z
- Sirinanda K, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Gradient-constrained discounted Steiner trees II: optimally locating a discounted Steiner point. JOURNAL OF GLOBAL OPTIMIZATION. Springer. 2016, Vol. 64, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1007/s10898-015-0325-0
- Muenzel V, Hollenkamp AF, Bhatt AI, De Hoog J, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. A Comparative Testing Study of Commercial 18650-Format Lithium-Ion Battery Cells. JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY. Electrochemical Society. 2015, Vol. 162, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1149/2.0721508jes
- Muenzel V, Hollenkamp AF, Bhatt AI, De Hoog J, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. Comment on "A Comparative Testing Study of Commercial 18650-Format Lithium-Ion Battery Cells" J. Electrochem. Soc., 162, A1592 (2015). JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY. Electrochemical Society. 2015, Vol. 162, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1149/2.0241512jes
- Brazil M, Ras C, Swanepoel KJ, Thomas D. Generalised k-Steiner Tree Problems in Normed Planes. ALGORITHMICA. Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 71, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s00453-013-9780-5
- Xia L, De Hoog J, Alpcan T, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. Local measurements and virtual pricing signals for residential demand side management. SUSTAINABLE ENERGY GRIDS & NETWORKS. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 4. DOI: 10.1016/j.segan.2015.10.002
- Sirinanda K, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Maximizing the net present value of a Steiner tree. JOURNAL OF GLOBAL OPTIMIZATION. Springer. 2015, Vol. 62, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1007/s10898-014-0246-3
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile