Professor Edmund Crampin
- Biomedical Engineering
- Mathematical Biology
- Systems Biology
Professor Edmund Crampin is Rowden White Chair of Systems Biology at the University of Melbourne.
Edmund directs the Systems Biology Lab at the School of Mathematics and Statistics and the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the Melbourne School of Engineering, and is Adjunct Professor in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (School of Medicine). The Systems Biology Lab is a multi-team collaborative group developing mathematical and computer modeling approaches to investigate regulatory processes and biophysical mechanisms underlying complex human diseases.
Current projects include modelling heart cells to understand the development of heart disease; modelling interactions between cells and nanoparticles; and computational approaches to study the network of genetic interactions underlying breast and skin cancer. The group also develops computational tools and standards for integrative systems biology.
Edmund graduated with a BSc (Hons) in Physics from Imperial College London, and completed a DPhil in Applied Mathematics at the University of Oxford. Edmund’s thesis topic was on biological pattern formation, and his thesis advisor was Professor Philip Maini FRS. Edmund was subsequently elected to a Junior Research Fellowship at Brasenose College Oxford and in 2001 he was awarded a Research Fellowship from the Wellcome Trust to study mathematical models of heart disease, under the guidance of Professor Denis Noble FRS. In 2003 Edmund established the Systems Biology group at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute, in collaboration with Institute director Professor Peter Hunter FRS. Edmund moved to the University of Melbourne in 2013 to take up the Chair of Systems Biology.
- Pan M, Gawthrop P, Tran K, Cursons J, Crampin E. A thermodynamic framework for modelling membrane transporters.. J Theor Biol. Academic Press. 2018. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtbi.2018.09.034
- Johnston S, Faria M, Crampin E. An analytical approach for quantifying the influence of nanoparticle polydispersity on cellular delivered dose. JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY INTERFACE. The Royal Society Publishing. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 144. DOI: 10.1098/rsif.2018.0364
- Pan M, Gawthrop P, Tran K, Cursons J, Crampin E. Bond graph modelling of the cardiac action potential: implications for drift and non-unique steady states. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. The Royal Society of London. 2018, Vol. 474, Issue 2214. DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2018.0106
- Cursons J, Pillman KA, Scheer KG, Gregory PA, Foroutan M, Hediyeh-Zadeh S, Toubia J, Crampin E, Goodall GJ, Bracken CP, Davis M. Combinatorial Targeting by MicroRNAs Co-ordinates Post-transcriptional Control of EMT. CELL SYSTEMS. Cell Press. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1016/j.cels.2018.05.019
- Ghosh S, Trani K, Crampin E, Hanssen E, Rajagopa V. Creatine-Kinase Shuttle and Rapid Mitochondrial Membrane Potential Conductivity are Needed Simultaneously to Maintain Uniform Metabolite Distributions in the Cardiac Cell Contraction Cycle. 62nd Annual Meeting of the Biophysical-Society. Biophysical Society. 2018, Vol. 114, Issue 3.
- Rajagopal V, Bass G, Ghosh S, Hunt H, Walkers C, Hanssen E, Crampin E, Soeller C. Creating a Structurally Realistic Finite Element Geometric Model of a Cardiomyocyte to Study the Role of Cellular Architecture in Cardiomyocyte Systems Biology. JOVE-JOURNAL OF VISUALIZED EXPERIMENTS. Journal of Visualized Experiments. 2018, Vol. 2018, Issue 134. DOI: 10.3791/56817
- Lin DS, Kan A, Gao J, Crampin E, Hodgkin PD, Naik S. DiSNE Movie Visualization and Assessment of Clonal Kinetics Reveal Multiple Trajectories of Dendritic Cell Development. CELL REPORTS. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 22, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1016/j.celrep.2018.02.046
- Ghosh S, Tran K, Delbridge L, Hickey A, Hanssen E, Crampin E, Rajagopal V. Insights on the impact of mitochondrial organisation on bioenergetics in high-resolution computational models of cardiac cell architecture. . 2018. DOI: 10.1101/327254
- Faria M, Bjornmalm A, Thurecht KJ, Kent S, Parton RG, Kavallaris M, Johnston APR, Gooding JJ, Corrie SR, Boyd BJ, Thordarson P, Whittaker AK, Stevens MM, Prestidge CA, Porter CJH, Parak WJ, Davis TP, Crampin E, Caruso F. Minimum information reporting in bio-nano experimental literature. NATURE NANOTECHNOLOGY. Nature Publishing Group. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1038/s41565-018-0246-4
- Miller C, Osborne J, Crampin E. Multi-Cellular Modelling of Cellular Mechanisms Gives Insights on the Maintenance of Epidermal Tissue Structure. 62nd Annual Meeting of the Biophysical-Society. Biophysical Society. 2018, Vol. 114, Issue 3.
- Ghosh S, Crampin E, Hanssen E, Rajagopal V. A Computational Study of the Role of Mitochondrial Organization on Cardiac Bioenergetics. 2017 39TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC). IEEE. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2017.8037413
- Gawthrop P, Siekmann I, Kameneva T, Saha S, Ibbotson M, Crampin E. Bond graph modelling of chemoelectrical energy transduction. IET SYSTEMS BIOLOGY. Institution of Engineering and Technology. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1049/iet-syb.2017.0006
- Jarosz J, Ghosh S, Delbridge L, Petzer A, Hickey AJR, Crampin E, Hanssen E, Rajagopal V. Changes in mitochondrial morphology and organization can enhance energy supply from mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation in diabetic cardiomyopathy. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-CELL PHYSIOLOGY. American Physiological Society. 2017, Vol. 312, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1152/ajpcell.00298.2016
- Glass J, Chen L, Alcantara S, Crampin E, Thurecht KJ, De Rose R, Kent S. Charge Has a Marked Influence on Hyperbranched Polymer Nanoparticle Association in Whole Human Blood. ACS MACRO LETTERS. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 6, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1021/acsmacrolett.7b00229
- Gawthrop P, Crampin E. Energy-based analysis of biomolecular pathways. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. The Royal Society of London. 2017, Vol. 473, Issue 2202. DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2016.0825
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile