Professor Peter Gawthrop
- Control engineering
- Human control systems
Peter Gawthrop was born in Seascale, Cumberland, in 1952. He obtained
his BA (first class honours), D.Phil. and MA degrees in Engineering
Science from Oxford University in 1973, 1977, and 1979 respectively.
Following a period as a Research Assistant with the Department of
Engineering Science at Oxford University, he became W. W. Spooner
Research Fellow at New College, Oxford. He then moved to the
University of Sussex as a Lecturer, and later a Reader in control
In 1987, he took up the Wylie Chair of Control Engineering in the
Department of Mechanical Engineering at Glasgow University. Within the
the Faculty of Engineering, he was involved in founding the Centre for
Systems and Control - a cross-departmental research grouping at
Glasgow with about twelve full time academic staff including four
In 1994 he was awarded the Honeywell International Medal by the
Institute of Measurement and Control.
In 1999 he spent a year in Australia at the Universities of Newcastle
Since 2002 he has been a Senior Research Fellow at Glasgow and has had
visiting appointments at: The University of Birmingham, The University
of Bristol, Manchester Metropolitan University, The Royal Melbourne
Institute of Technology, The University of Newcastle (NSW) and The
University of Sydney
He is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology, and a
Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineering. He is a
Chartered Engineer in the UK and a Eur.Ing. in the European Union.
His research interests include adaptive control, predictive control,
intermittent control, substructuring, continuous-time system
identification and system modelling - particularly using bond graphs
in the context of partially-known systems. He is interested in
applying control and modelling techniques to a number of areas
including mechanical and biomedical systems.
- Pan M, Gawthrop P, Tran K, Cursons J, Crampin E. A thermodynamic framework for modelling membrane transporters. Journal of Theoretical Biology. Academic Press. 2018. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtbi.2018.09.034
- Pan M, Gawthrop P, Tran K, Cursons J, Crampin E. Bond graph modelling of the cardiac action potential: implications for drift and non-unique steady states. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. The Royal Society of London. 2018, Vol. 474, Issue 2214. DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2018.0106
- Gawthrop P. Computing Biomolecular System Steady-States. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON NANOBIOSCIENCE. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 17, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/TNB.2017.2787486
- Gawthrop P. Bond Graph Modeling of Chemiosmotic Biomolecular Energy Transduction. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON NANOBIOSCIENCE. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 16, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1109/TNB.2017.2674683
- Gawthrop P, Siekmann I, Kameneva T, Saha S, Ibbotson M, Crampin E. Bond graph modelling of chemoelectrical energy transduction. IET SYSTEMS BIOLOGY. Institution of Engineering and Technology. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1049/iet-syb.2017.0006
- Gawthrop P, Crampin E. Energy-based analysis of biomolecular pathways. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. The Royal Society of London. 2017, Vol. 473, Issue 2202. DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2016.0825
- Gollee H, Gawthrop P, Lakie M, Loram ID. Visuo-manual tracking: does intermittent control with aperiodic sampling explain linear power and non-linear remnant without sensorimotor noise?. JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-LONDON. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2017, Vol. 595, Issue 21. DOI: 10.1113/JP274288
- Gawthrop P. Bond-graph modelling and causal analysis of biomolecular systems. Bond Graphs for Modelling, Control and Fault Diagnosis of Engineering Systems, Second Edition. 2016. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-47434-2_16
- Gawthrop P, Crampin E. Modular bond-graph modelling and analysis of biomolecular systems. IET SYSTEMS BIOLOGY. Institution of Engineering and Technology. 2016, Vol. 10, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1049/iet-syb.2015.0083
- Gawthrop P, Wang L, Weyer E. Decentralised Intermittent Control. 2015 IEEE CONFERENCE ON CONTROL AND APPLICATIONS (CCA 2015). IEEE. 2015.
- Gawthrop P, Neild SA, Wagg DJ. Dynamically dual vibration absorbers: a bond graph approach to vibration control. SYSTEMS SCIENCE & CONTROL ENGINEERING. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2015, Vol. 3, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/21642583.2014.991458
- Gawthrop P, Cursons J, Crampin E. Hierarchical bond graph modelling of biochemical networks. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. The Royal Society of London. 2015, Vol. 471, Issue 2184. DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2015.0642
- Gawthrop P, Gollee H, Loram I. Intermittent control in man and machine. Event-Based Control and Signal Processing. 2015. DOI: 10.1201/b19013
- Loram I, Gawthrop P, Gollee H. Intermittent control of unstable multivariate systems. 2015 37TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2015.
- Loram ID, Van De Kamp C, Lakie M, Gollee H, Gawthrop P. Does the Motor System Need Intermittent Control?. Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2014, Vol. 42, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1249/JES.0000000000000018
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile