Professor Anthony Burkitt
- Computational Neuroscience (Neural plasticity; Epilepsy)
- Medical Bionics (Retinal implants; Cochlear implants)
Professor Anthony Burkitt is the Research Director of Bionic Vision Australia (BVA) and Professor of Engineering at the University of Melbourne.
BVA is a partnership of world-leading Australian research institutions collaborating to develop an advanced retinal prosthesis, or bionic eye, to restore the sense of vision to people with degenerative or inherited retinal disease. The partners of Bionic Vision Australia are the University of Melbourne, the University of New South Wales, the Bionic Ear Institute, the Centre for Eye Research Australia and NICTA.
In December 2009 Bionic Vision Australia (BVA) was awarded $42 million from the Federal Government. Professor David Penington says the grant, provided over four years, will take the team to the point where commercial development of an implant at the back of the eye, responding to wireless transmission of vision, will become a reality.
- Chambers J, Elgueda D, Fritz JB, Shamma SA, Burkitt A, Grayden D. Computational Neural Modeling of Auditory Cortical Receptive Fields. Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience. Frontiers Research Foundation. 2019, Vol. 13. DOI: 10.3389/fncom.2019.00028
- Spencer M, Kameneva T, Grayden D, Meffin H, Burkitt A. Global activity shaping strategies for a retinal implant. Journal of Neural Engineering. IOP Publishing. 2019, Vol. 16, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1088/1741-2552/aaf071
- Zarei Eskikand P, Kameneva T, Burkitt A, Grayden D, Ibbotson M. Pattern Motion Processing by MT Neurons. Frontiers in Neural Circuits. Frontiers Research Foundation. 2019, Vol. 13. DOI: 10.3389/fncir.2019.00043
- Hogendoorn J, Burkitt A. Predictive Coding with Neural Transmission Delays: A Real-Time Temporal Alignment Hypothesis. eNeuro. 2019, Vol. 6, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1523/ENEURO.0412-18.2019
- Lian Y, Grayden D, Kameneva T, Meffin H, Burkitt A. Toward a Biologically Plausible Model of LGN-V1 Pathways Based on Efficient Coding. Frontiers in Neural Circuits. Frontiers Research Foundation. 2019, Vol. 13. DOI: 10.3389/fncir.2019.00013
- Zarei Eskikand P, Kameneva T, Ibbotson M, Burkitt A, Grayden D. A biologically-based computational model of visual cortex that overcomes the X-junction illusion. NEURAL NETWORKS. Pergamon Press. 2018, Vol. 102. DOI: 10.1016/j.neunet.2018.02.008
- Esler T, Maturana M, Kerr R, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Meffin H. Biophysical basis of the linear electrical receptive fields of retinal ganglion cells. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1088/1741-2552/aacbaa
- Kameneva T, Meffin H, Burkitt A, Grayden D. Bistability in Hodgkin-Huxley-type equations. 2018 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8513233
- Spencer M, Meffin H, Burkitt A, Grayden D. Compensation for Traveling Wave Delay Through Selection of Dendritic Delays Using Spike-Timing-Dependent Plasticity in a Model of the Auditory Brainstem. FRONTIERS IN COMPUTATIONAL NEUROSCIENCE. Frontiers Research Foundation. 2018, Vol. 12. DOI: 10.3389/fncom.2018.00036
- Maturana M, Apollo N, Garrett D, Kameneva T, Cloherty SL, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Ibbotson M, Meffin H. Electrical receptive fields of retinal ganglion cells: Influence of presynaptic neurons. PLOS COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY. Public Library of Science. 2018, Vol. 14, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005997
- Wong Y, Ahnood A, Maturana M, Kentler W, Ganesan K, Grayden D, Meffin H, Prawer S, Ibbotson M, Burkitt A. Feasibility of Nitrogen Doped Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Microelectrodes for Electrophysiological Recording From Neural Tissue. FRONTIERS IN BIOENGINEERING AND BIOTECHNOLOGY. 2018, Vol. 6. DOI: 10.3389/fbioe.2018.00085
- Esler T, Kerr R, Tahayori B, Grayden D, Meffin H, Burkitt A. Minimizing activation of overlying axons with epiretinal stimulation: The role of fiber orientation and electrode configuration. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0193598
- Esler T, Kerr R, Tahayori B, Grayden D, Meffin H, Burkitt A. Minimizing activation of overlying axons with epiretinal stimulation: The role of fiber orientation and electrode configuration. PLoS ONE. 2018. DOI: 10.1101/245266
- Hogendoorn J, Burkitt A. Predictive coding of visual object position ahead of moving objects revealed by time-resolved EEG decoding. NEUROIMAGE. Academic Press. 2018, Vol. 171. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2017.12.063
- Hogendoorn J, Burkitt A. Predictive coding with neural transmission delays: a real-time temporal alignment hypothesis. eNeuro. 2018. DOI: 10.1101/453183
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile