Dr Yan Wong
- Bionic Eye (Vision processing, bionics, neuroengineering)
- Brain-Machine Interfaces (Brain-computer interfaces, bionics, neuroengineering)
- Systems Neuroscience (Motor planning, decision making, LFP, spike-field interactions)
Dr Yan Wong received his PhD for work towards the design and development of a vision prosthetic microchip and novel electrode organizations for current focusing from the University of New South Wales in 2009. For his postdoctoral work, he joined the Center for Neural Science at New York University studying the role of spike-LFP interactions in the Parietal cortex on movement planning, as well as developing a Brain Machine Interface for high-dimensional upper limb control. He is now a part of the Electrical and Electronic Engineering department at the University of Melbourne and NVRI working on the development of neural prostheses and the understanding of neural circuit dynamics.
- Ahnood A, Meffin H, Garrett D, Fox K, Ganesan K, Stacey A, Apollo N, Wong Y, Lichter S, Kentler W, Kavehei O, Greferath U, Vessey K, Ibbotson M, Fletcher E, Burkitt A, Prawer S. Diamond Devices for High Acuity Prosthetic Vision. Advanced Biosystems. Wiley-VCH. 2017, Vol. 1, Issue 1-2. DOI: 10.1002/adbi.201600003
- Hsieh HL, Wong Y, Pesaran B, Shanechi MM. Multiscale decoding for reliable brain-machine interface performance over time. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2017.8036796
- Rosenfeld JV, Wong Y. Neurobionics and the brain-computer interface: current applications and future horizons. MEDICAL JOURNAL OF AUSTRALIA. Australasian Medical Publishing Co Ltd. 2017, Vol. 206, Issue 8. DOI: 10.5694/mja16.01011
- Halupka K, Shivdasani M, Cloherty S, Grayden D, Wong Y, Burkitt A, Meffin H. Prediction of cortical responses to simultaneous electrical stimulation of the retina. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2017, Vol. 14, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1088/1741-2560/14/1/016006
- John S, Lovell T, Opie N, Wilson S, Scordas TC, Wong Y, Rind G, Ronayne S, Bauquier S, May C, Grayden D, O'Brien T, Oxley T. The ovine motor cortex: A review of functional mapping and cytoarchitecture. NEUROSCIENCE AND BIOBEHAVIORAL REVIEWS. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 80. DOI: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2017.06.002
- Wong Y, Fabiszak MM, Novikov Y, Daw ND, Pesaran B. Coherent neuronal ensembles are rapidly recruited when making a look-reach decision. NATURE NEUROSCIENCE. Nature America. 2016, Vol. 19, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1038/nn.4210
- Oxley T, Opie N, John S, Rind G, Ronayne S, Wheeler TL, Judy JW, McDonald A, Dornom A, Lovell T, Steward C, Garrett D, Moffat B, Lui E, Yassi N, Campbell B, Wong Y, Fox KE, Nurse E, Bennett I, Bauquier S, Liyanage K, Van Der Nagel NR, Perucca P, Ahnood A, Gill K, Yan B, Churilov L, French C, Desmond P, Horne M, Kiers L, Prawer S, Davis S, Burkitt A, Mitchell P, Grayden D, May C, O'Brien T. Minimally invasive endovascular stent-electrode array for high-fidelity, chronic recordings of cortical neural activity. NATURE BIOTECHNOLOGY. Nature Publishing Group. 2016, Vol. 34, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1038/nbt.3428
- Wong Y, Halupka K, Kameneva T, Cloherty SL, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Meffin H, Shivdasani M. Spectral distribution of local field potential responses to electrical stimulation of the retina. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2016, Vol. 13, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1088/1741-2560/13/3/036003
- Wong Y, Opie N, John S, Gerboni G, Rind G, Ronayne S, Fox KE, Oxley T, Grayden D. Suitability of Nitinol Electrodes in Neural Prostheses such as Endovascular Neural Interfaces. 2016 38TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 2016-October. Editors: Patton J, Barbieri R, Ji J, Jabbari E, Dokos S, Mukkamala R, Guiraud D, Jovanov E, Dhaher Y, Panescu D, Vangils M, Wheeler B, Dhawan AP. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2016.7591718
- Hawellek DJ, Wong Y, Pesaran B. Temporal coding of reward-guided choice in the posterior parietal cortex. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. National Academy of Sciences. 2016, Vol. 113, Issue 47. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1606479113
- Putrino D, Wong Y, Weiss A, Pesaran B. A training platform for many-dimensional prosthetic devices using a virtual reality environment. JOURNAL OF NEUROSCIENCE METHODS. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 244. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2014.03.010
- Wong Y, Putrino D, Weiss A, Pesaran B. Utilizing movement synergies to improve decoding performance for a brain machine interface. 2013 35TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2013. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2013.6609494
- Wong Y, Vigeral M, Putrino D, Pfau D, Merel J, Paninski L, Pesaran B. Decoding Arm and Hand Movements Across Layers of the Macaque Frontal Cortices. 2012 ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2012, Vol. 2012.
- Wong Y, Vigeral M, Putrino D, Pfau D, Merel J, Paninski L, Pesaran B. Decoding arm and hand movements across layers of the macaque frontal cortices. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2012. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2012.6346289
- Putrino D, Wong Y, Vigeral M, Pesaran B. Development of a closed-loop feedback system for real-time control of a high-dimensional Brain Machine Interface. 2012 ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2012.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile