The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering was established in 1947 as part of the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, which has been offering degrees at The University of Melbourne since 1889.
The Department offers both PhD and Masters level research higher degrees. Our flagship programs are the Master of Engineering (Electrical) and the Master of Engineering (Electrical with Business) — with a Bachelor degree pathway via an Electrical Systems Major via the Bachelor of Science.
Both the Master of Engineering (Electrical) and Master of Engineering (Electrical with Business) are professionally recognised under two major accreditation frameworks — EUR-ACE® and the Washington Accord (through Engineers Australia).
The Department is host to a vibrant internationally recognised research program, which receives exceptional support from industry and government. The Department has strengths in these main discipline areas:
- Communication systems and networks
- Control and signal processing
- Photonic and electronic systems
- Power and energy systems
These disciplines reflect the core ingredients of our research and research training programs, across a number of centres, institutes and laboratories.
- Australia-US Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative (AUSMURI)
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery (OzGrav)
- Trusted Autonomous Systems CRC
- Electronics Lab
- Melbourne information, decision and autonomous systems (MIDAS)
- Tucker Lab
Professor Chris Manzie
Head of Department