We have designed our distribution networks (the poles and wires) to cope with our peak demand. In Australia, the design value can vary from 3 to 7 kW per house (single phase) which accounts for diversity and demographics. Although our networks have been engineered to withstand demand growth, this does not include electric vehicles (EVs). Since the trend around the world is for EVs charged at home to use fast chargers (~7kW of demand), they clearly are a concern for distribution companies as the extra demand could easily exceed what the poles and wires have been designed for.
This multi-disciplinary project explores, with a range of both network-related and consumer-related research methodologies and tools, customer acceptance and expectations around electric vehicles (EVs), distribution network impacts from unmanaged EVs, distribution network integration of EVs using active management strategies, and techno-economic network and system integration of EVs.
This 2-year project (Sep 2020 to Sep 2022) is funded by Energy Networks Australia (ENA) and the Centre for New Energy Technologies (C4NET). It also involves the Australian Power Institute (API) and multiple Australian Distribution Network Service Providers (DNSPs).
- Prof Pierluigi Mancarella, Techno Economics
- Prof Luis(Nando) Ochoa, Distribution Networks
- Dr Patricia Sauri Lavier, Customers
- Prof Majid Sarvi, Transport
- Dr William Nacmanson, Distribution Networks
- Dr Shariq Riaz, Techno Economics
- Jing Zhu, Distribution Networks
- Carmen Bas Domenech, Customers
- Gabriel Oliveira, Customers
- Electric Vehicles, Solar PV
- High and Low Voltage Distribution Networks
- Smart Grids, Time-of-Use Tariffs
- September 2022 (End)
Techno-economic network and system integration of EVs
- Milestone 12: Final Workshops. Webinar.
- Milestone 11: Dataset.
- Milestone 10: Techno-economic network and system modelling and benefits assessment, final recommendation. Report.
- Milestone 9: Techno-economic modelling and assessment: initial studies. Webinar.
- March 2022
Distribution network integration of EVs using active management strategies
- Milestone 8: Active management of network and EVs and benefit assessment of different charging strategies for different scenarios. Report and Webinar.
- Milestone 7: Intelligent EV management strategies: first take. Webinar.
- September 2021
✓ Distribution network impacts from unmanaged EVs
- April 2021
✓ Customer acceptance and expectations around EV
- September 2020 (Start)